Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Fred At The Finish

Countdown to the Start, November 4, 2007: 3 days 10h 33m 09s

Sunday, Nov 4
High: 56 °F RealFeel®: 53 °F
Intervals of clouds and sunshine







I went for a nice easy run this morning, on my own to avoid getting caught up in the pack and running to far or to fast.

I didn't have a clear plan, just see how it felt and take it easy. I got to the park and headed south, as I usually do. That left a lot of options; the reservoir, the 4, 5 or 6 mile loops...

I figured I'd do a 4 mile loop, crossing at 72nd Street. Of course it didn't take me long to realize that I would be just missing running by the marathon finish line by a few hundred yards. So, when I hit 72nd I kept going and ran down to check out the scene. I wasn't disappointed. There were two overpasses that had been built to allow people to cross the road. The finish line structures were in place, and of course the bleachers were there. The best part, though, was that the statue of Fred Lebow had apparently been moved to the finish line from it's usual place at Engineer's Gate.

There at the gate, where many training runs start and end, Fred checking his watch is the immortal coach making sure we are training at the right pace. At the finish line of the marathon however, he appears to be checking our finishing times. I hope I meet his approval. No pressure...

2 comments:

MojoSaves said...

Good luck, John! And remember, if you have to bring some cash, use a safety pin!
I'll be cheering for you.

-Charlie

runner26 said...

Good Luck!!!!!