Monday, November 5, 2007

Marathon Report

OK, this is my third try at writing a post after the Marathon. It was an amazing experience, one that I will never forget. So much happened that I will be processing it for a while. In the meantime, I offer this summary:

High point of the day: My seven year old son spotting me at the "friends and family" area after the race, yelling "Daddy!!!" and running up to give me a hug. I may not have been the object of envy for the other runners during the race, but at that moment, I was king of the world.

Low point: The walk out after crossing the finish line. I took me over an hour to get out of the park, during which time I was cramping up pretty badly. Fortunately, the cramps were worked out by the time made it out.

Short story: Ran well, feeling great to mile 19, then suddenly hit the wall. Limped through the next couple of miles, then somehow recovered enough to finish with dignity in tact.

Time to beat next year: 3 hours 55 minutes 40 seconds.

8 comments:

jb24 said...

Glad you you enjoyed the experience. Your first marathon, especially in NYC, is one that you will never forget. Congrats on an awesome finish time. Now it's time to treat yourself to some rest, relaxation, and other things that you have been depriving yourself of during training.

Congrats!!

JohnnyGo said...

Thanks jb24.

As for treating myself, you can count on that. It will be several days at least before I start training for next year ;-)

runner26 said...

Congrats!! I love that part about your son! That's so cute! Enjoy your next couple weeks of recovery. You deserve it!!

nyflygirl said...

congrats!! A sub-4 on a marathon debut is great!!

(I didn't see you pass by mile 18-were you wearing a flyers singlet?)

JohnnyGo said...

nyflygirl-
I was wearing a Team For Kids singlet. I raised money for TFK, and wore their logo for the race.
Look for me in Flyers gear at next year's marathon!
I saw a few Flyers as I passed by mile 18 -- you must have been getting more gels to hand out when I came by.

Bridges Runner said...

Congrats on marathon #1 being under the belt and a sub 4 to boot:) Enjoy the recovery and see you out on the roads soon!

The Laminator said...

Congrats on your first marathon johnny. Way to go!

Trakmaniak said...

Jonnygo...Congrats on your first marathon...you will always remember your first and what a first it was...you picked a great one and out of all my marathons, this is absolutely the best. Nice job in your sub 4...you'll do a whole lot better now that you have a base, congratulations on moving from a beginner to a marathoner...what's the next race? have marathon fever? it's addicting!

I absolutely love your high's and low's comment...I told you about the wall (i didn't want to scare you, but now you know the experience...) Really enjoyed your high's, glad you shared it with us...bought a tear to my eye...

nice job and Congrats on a great time...