Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Last Ten Miles...

Today was the Flyer's "Last Ten Miles" run. It covers the final miles of the NYC Marathon course from where it enters Manhattan, up First Avenue, into the Bronx, circling back into Manhattan again, and finishing in Central Park.

The run was very pleasant. I was fun to imagine finishing the marathon, without being tired from running the first 16 miles.

I had been worried that it would be stop and go, because the streets would not be closed. I figured that we would spend a lot of time standing at intersections waiting for lights to change so that we could cross. This turned out not to be the case, as there wasn't much traffic at that hour, and we hardly ever had to stop. It was a real run in which I could keep pace, not the sight-seeing trip I had expected.

There was a great turnout for the run, and I enjoyed hanging out with the Flyers afterward. The more Marathon stories I hear from the club veterans, the more excited I get.

Stats for the first week of my taper:

Weight: 162

Peek Training Week Milage (last week): 51
Miles for this week: 30

Monday: Day off to recover from Sunday's 20
Tuesday: Speed work with the AM Flyers : 4x 1 mile @ 6:50 per mile (+ 1 mile to get there).
Wednesday: off
Thursday: 10 miles, including a 6 at tempo pace with the AM Flyers
Friday: off
Saturday: 5 miles - easy pace
Sunday: 10 miles (Last 10 miles of the NYC Marathon course with the Flyers ) 7:32 pace.

Plans for next week:
- Maintain weight. In the future, I hope to continue losing weight, but now it's time to hold steady to be strong for the big day.
- Drop mileage slightly, but keep some speed/tempo work in the schedule.

2 comments:

Trakmaniak said...

You'll be all ready and set to go. I found that the last 10 miles were pretty exhausting, with all those mini incline hills. Hmm...it will be a different story come marathon day. We shall see how "scenic" things will be. Don't forget your camera! Ok...you can have some of my pictures if you want!

Nice job...your looking strong and good to go...but most importantly...HAVE FUN! and SMILE!

The Laminator said...

Enjoy your taper and good luck in the marathon, Johnny.