Monday, October 15, 2007

The Staten Island 20

Yesterday was my last day to get in a long run before the official taper started. I was a bit conflicted, since I was planning to run the Staten Island Half Marathon, but I really needed a 20 miler, not a 13.1. According to the rules of marathon tapering, yesterday was my last chance to do a 20 miler. After that, there should be no more long runs until the big day.

In January, I ran the Manhattan Half, the first of the Gran Prix series. This series is made up of one half marathon in each of the 5 boroughs of New York. I ran this race, my first half marathon, with my friend PL, and we had such a great time that we agreed to try to run all 5 races. Staten Island was the fifth and final race in the series. I had promised PL to help him hit his goal of breaking the 8 min/mile pace, and I looked forward to running the whole race with him.

The Flyers had a 20 mile training run in Croton on Saturday which would have been ideal for my marathon training. But if I did that run, there is no way I could do the half the next day. My solution was to do the Staten Island Half, and then tack on an extra 7 miles to make my 20.

We took the Staten Island Ferry over to the race, which was a blast. The boat was full of runners. Walking from the Ferry terminal to the start (just a few hundred yards), we passed a nice 9/11 memorial, and took in the beautiful view of Manhattan.

The race went well, although there was a bad moment at the 10 mile mark, when I realized that I wasn't 3.1 miles from the end, but rather just half way through my planned 20 miles.

I kept our planned pace of 8 min/mile, and came into the finish feeling pretty strong. As we approached the end of the race, other runners were kicking, but I was holding steady, knowing that I had 7 more miles to go. Flyer JW passed me near the end and yelled out "come on John!", and it was hard not to rise to the challenge.

After the finish, I got my chip clipped, and grabbed a gatorade, and headed back on to the course. The race course was an "out and back" and my plan was to just go out 3.5 miles and turn around again. I felt bad passing runners going the other way -- I hate to see runners, who have already finished, jogging backwards along the course as I kill myself to finish -- but I was not alone. A number of runners were doing exactly what I was doing.

Unfortunately, almost immediately after heading back out, I got very, very tired. I was dragging ass, and I couldn't maintain the 8 min/mile pace any longer. I was determined to do the 20 however, so I pressed on. The taper was ahead of me, so this was the time to push it to the limit. I completed the 20, but I was beat. I was the end of a 50 mile week - a first for me.

I was sore well before the run was over. I got home and took an ice bath and recovery came quickly. That is one of the best signs that I am in better and better shape -- I am recovering from tough runs much easier than before.

Quick recovery aside, I am ready to dial it back. Let the taper begin!

3 comments:

jb24 said...

Good luck with the upcoming taper. Have fun with it and know that you put in all of the training and miles. I'll be there on the course cheering you on. Look for me at mile 18

Trakmaniak said...

Congrats on the competion of 5 of 5 boroughs, that is pretty tough to do. Staying injury free, getting out there to all of the 5...it's one special effort (certainly I didn't do it this year, so congrats on that!)

As for tapering. Good luck, stay safe and it's all easy from here...you've done the hard parts, now enjoy the ride...enjoy the first, because you'll always remember this one! good luck!

runner26 said...

How's the taper going? Nice job with the twenty out there. It's sometimes more of a mental effort--which is what the marathon is all about. You are definitely ready!!