Monday, July 30, 2007

Sweet Sixteen

Saturday I ran 16 miles -- my longest training run to date. I felt very excited to reach this milestone, but it was a stretch for the old legs, and I had to wonder what it would be like to go another 10.2.

After the run, I had just had time to shower and pack before heading into a long car drive. Not a great way to relax after pushing your legs to the max. Ouch!

My plan now is to take it easy this week in order to "taper" for the New York Half on Sunday. I want to run this race hard to try to get some idea of what pace I should be targeting for the marathon.

I'm still a bit confused about this, as the MacMillan Calculator is filling my head with crazy ideas based on my times from shorter races. My most recent, and fastest race time is a 5 miler that I ran in 35.21 (7:04 pace).* Based on my five mile time, MacMillan suggests that I "ought" to be able to run a half in 1:38:36 (7:32 pace), which is way faster than my best half to date.

I'll try for something a little closer to that on Sunday. But come on, really? I get to run 28 seconds a mile slower to go 8 more miles? I'm skeptical.
If I can get closer to that mark, however, I'll start to take the time MacMillan projects for a full marathon a little more seriously. In the mean time, I won't even think about it. ;)

*No, I'm not counting my last race, which I suspect the NYRR won't fix.

2 comments:

runner26 said...

Nice run! 16 miles is great. Good luck in the half on Sunday. Hopefully you'll meet your goal.

Trakmaniak said...

Nice Job on your 16. It only gets better from here on in and if you get use to the longer distances with ease, you'll do fine.

Just don't go above a 20...well you can, but I wouldn't recommend it.

According to your McMilan Running website:

I imputted my marathon pace, it was pretty right on with my half marathon pace - although those are my best times and with these times, you have to do pretty well on pace. I ran it down my string of PR's, and they were about 2 minutes +/- of what I run...so you can determine that pretty well from that. Not saying that I am a determinate factor, but give you some sense of accuracy.

Best of luck...
Damn i gotta use these times and catch up!