Thursday, July 12, 2007

Running Home

After two days off, I really needed to get a run in yesterday. There was no time for a lunch hour run at the office, so I decided to run home after work.

As I headed for the elevator, a colleague mentioned that the weather report was for a major storm - doh! I shrugged it off -- I never believe those guys...

When I got outside, it sure did look like a storm was brewing, and it was starting to sprinkle. The truth was, however, I didn't care. I don't mind running in the rain, and I really needed this run.

I went to the health club and changed into my running gear. My plan was to leave my work clothes in the locker, and run home with just the essentials in my belt pocket, a small pack I often use to carry a cell phone, keys and money when I go on long runs alone. Unfortnately, I couldn't get my wallet into the pocket as well, so I ended up carrying it. I don't know if that made me more of a target for a mugger or a suspect for the police, but I didn't care. Did I mention that I really needed this run?

When I started running it was raining but not too hard. It was actually pretty nice. I hit Riverside at Houston, and I was fired up for a good run. The threat of a downpour helped with the motivation, and I kept a quick pace. I also didn't know how long the run was going to be, and I did need to get home.

Before long, the storm hit. And I mean hit. Heavy rain, wind, and plenty of lightning. It was entertaining -- especially since I was running along the river. At around 60th street or so, the path went under the elevated West Side Highway. Shelter from the rain? Not even. The wind was blasting in from the river, and it seemed like it was even wetter than in the open!
The best part was that I was still seeing occasional runners going the other way, and they all looked like I felt. Totally focused on the run, and not caring about the rain one bit.

Then the flooding began. I was running through deep puddles of "water" the true contents of which I don't want to know.

And then -- I was home. I was a great run. I was soaked and my previously white socks were a nasty shade of grey-brown, but I felt fantastic.

It turned out to be around 5.5 miles, which is a great distance for a run home. I hope to do many more.

2 comments:

Trakmaniak said...

With the rain yesterday, are you sure you were not swimming in the Hudson rather than running along the West Side? Jeez, you have elevated yourself higher than me, you are now a more crazier runner than I am...I wouldn't even do that...You really must have had to run...like REALLY HAVING TO PEE!

anyways, you gain my respect...what happened to your cell phone? it didn't get wet at all?

JohnnyGo said...

Although I'm pretty sure I wasn't in the Hudson, it did seem like I crossed a few tributaries ;)

Crazier runner than you? To reach that goal, I would have to run through a storm AND get great pictures along the way...

The cell phone stayed dry in the pocket, but my wallet didn't fare as well. Oh well, it's just money.