Saturday, July 21, 2007

In the Long Run...

I mapped out a 14 mile run from Brunswick, ME to Freeport ME and back for my long run this week.

In the end, my GPS says that it was only 13.51 miles, but that is still my longest training run to date. I thought about running by the house to get that last half mile in, but there was no way. I had run the route, if not the exact distance I planned, and I wasn't going any further. I kept a decent pace, but it was a very, very hilly run, and my legs were feeling it at the end.

I checked my time when I hit 13.1 miles, and saw that I was just a minute off my half marathon PR (Brooklyn Half). Given that this route was much tougher than Brooklyn and I wasn't racing, I took it as a sign that I am making good progress.

I've often read that an ice bath is good right after a long run that pushed your legs. I had promised my family a trip to the beach however, so after stretching and showering I was on headed out. Fortunately, the ocean in Maine freezing, so I just sat myself down in a tidal pool and had myself that ice bath.

This was also the first time I've done a long run (more that 6 miles) without a running partner for at least part of the run. I didn't take my iPod, so I was left with nothing but my own feeble charm and imagination for company. Still, I really enjoyed it. The landscape was lovely, and just focusing on running was enough to keep it from getting boring.

I felt strong today, but the extreme hills took their toll. Next weekend I'm going to shoot for a longer but flatter run and see how that feels.

No comments: