Saturday, October 10, 2009

How long is long?

The first time I trained for a marathon, it seemed that every training program I saw peaked at 20 miles. And those miles were meant to be run much slower than target marathon pace. It seemed odd.
What other race to you prep for without ever going the distance? This approach seems to be counting a LOT on race day magic. I mean, I'm going to run 20 miles much faster than I ever have, pop a GU and whip off an extra 6.2 for kicks?
This year, it seems like a lot more folks are peaking with 22 mile training runs. Today, I tried it for the first time. I have to say, it felt great. I ran with DW, who kept the pace moving, and we picked it up for the last mile.
As DW pointed out, there is a big psychological advantage to running 22 miles rather than 20, in that 4 miles feels like a lot less to "tack on" than 6.
After the run, I asked myself whether I could have gone another 4.2. The answer: "hells yeah".

1 comment:

Robert James Reese said...

Like you, I question whether 20 is enough. I did 22's before my first, a couple 24's before my second, and a full training 26.2 this time around. My feeling is, how can you be expected to increase both speed and distance at the same time (since most say the long runs should be much slower than MP)? Glad you got the 22 in, I imagine it will help. If not physically, then certainly mentally.