Saturday, March 15, 2008

Second time over 70

This morning was the Central Park Challenge 8K. It was a light turnout (1,700 runners) due to the early start just after DST kicked in, and the fact that so many folks ran last weekend in either the 15K points race or the 4 miler.

I arrived at the race with TH, and met up with PL there. We ran into DW from my morning training group, as well as MR and other Flyers at the start.

Although this wasn't a "target race" per se, I felt up for running a hard 8K (just under 5 miles), so I came ready to race. The small crowd made for an unusual opportunity as there was no need to bob and weave anywhere on the course. I ran the first mile in 6:42, perhaps my fastest first mile ever.

I kept a steady pace until mile 4, which was a bit slower as Cat Hill took its toll. The splits:
6:42 Mile 1
6:41 Mile 2
6:46 Mile 3
7:03 Mile 4 (Cat Hill)
6:35 (last .9 miles)

My 33.47 time was good for a 70.4% AG -- my second time breaking that tough 70% mark (woo hoo!).

After the race I reconnected with the folks I started with, and chatted with RB, JE and others. It seemed that a good time was had by all.

Running -- good.

2 comments:

The Laminator said...

Great race Johnny. 70% AG is amazing. I thought I had a good racing season last year, but my best was only a 68.2 Come to think of it, that's a great goal to have. I'm going to try to break that 70% myself sometime this year. Anyway, great great run, and congratulations. I'm envious.

runner26 said...

Smokin'!