Sunday, March 9, 2008

Discipline... sort of


I ran the Colon Cancer 15k last week as a training run. I had run 35 miles already in the week, and given the recent inconsistency of my training, I wanted to be sure not to over do it. 15K was a nice distance to top off the week, and I knew that this week was going to be light. Starting next week, my schedule should allow me to get back into steady 40 mile weeks. Then, hopefully, I'll see what I can do to train hard for a target race and keep pushing my fitness.

The 15K (9.3 miles) was two loops -- a 5 mile loop and a 4+ mile loop. I started off with two friends running at an easy pace, but after a mile or two one of them picked up the pace. In keeping with my non racing plan, I stuck with the slower of my two friends. After the first loop, I succumbed to temptation somewhat, and set out to see if I could catch up with the friend who had run ahead. I never did catch him, but I enjoyed running negative splits. It's great to feel strong at the end of a long race.

I got faster in each of the final miles, and only momentarily broke the "training run" plan by running the last mile at a sub 7 minute pace.

In the end, last week was a really solid week of running, but I knew this week would be tougher. Next week, no more excuses.

See you out there!

No comments: