Thursday, September 25, 2008

Starting Small

Last weekend I ran the annual Fifth Avenue Mile, one of my favorite races.

Last year, I set the ambitious (for me) goal of going under 6 minutes, and just managed to do it. It was a great day. This year, I was still coming back from my "non-injury" slump, and I didn't know if I was going to be able to match last year's time.

The race is unique amongst NYC races, in that there are age group heats. This means that each age group winner gets to literally break the tape -- a real plus for the masters and veterans. Although I am not in contention to break the tape, I still love it that I can see the winners finish ahead of me. 

With all the separate heats, comes another difference. There are no starting mats. It's "gun time" only, which means that if you are really watching your time, you have to line up early and get to the front. I was not feeling so confident, and I ended up in a starting position a good bit behind last year's.

Once the race started, though, I felt good. It took a few seconds to reach the start, and there was a good bit of bobbing and weaving after that, but I still hit the first quarter mile at 1:30. I tried to maintain effort for the up hill second quarter, and hit it just under 3:00. Again, maintaining effort on the downhill third quarter, I came in well under 4:30, and I knew a PR was within reach. At the 1500 meter mark, GW was there, screaming at me 

to kick it into gear. I gave it everything I had and finished with a 5:52. 

I was very happy with this time. Five seconds ahead of last year's time, 35th o
f 151 men in my age group, and a 70.5% AG. 

The over 70% AG in particular, I take as a sign that I am returning to top shape and ready to challenge my PRs at longer distances. 

To view more photos of race winners like the one on the right, click here.

No comments: