Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Flat Out

I ran intervals this morning with the 6AM group. It's been a while since I've run speed work, due to a hamstring that I've been "watching". Today, I finally felt ready.
We ran a "reverse pyramid":
2 x 440
1 x 880
1 x mile
1 x 880
2 x 440.

I was cautious at first, but when it came time for the last 440 I felt really strong (strong as in healthy), so I went flat out. It felt great. 

So where does the expression "flat-out" come from? The internet has failed me. I see references to dates of origin (20's - 50's), but no explanation. I associate it with the accelerator of a car, as in "pedal to the metal", but I really have no idea. 

Whatever the derivation, there's just nothing like giving it everything you've got if you want to feel alive.

Here's to going flat out every chance we get!

No comments: