Sunday, September 14, 2008

Half Solid

As I work my way back into good weekly mileage, I am trying to gradually build the long runs as well. This weekend offered the NYRR LTR (Long Training Run) and the Queens Half. I went with the half for two reasons. First, it was the right distance for where I am, and second, because my two regular running buddies were doing it. 

The three of us drove out together, which was MUCH nicer than the bus that I took last year. The race starts at 7AM in Queens, and driving allowed for a lot more sleep and a lot less time hanging out at the staging area. Most of all, going to a race with your friends is just good fun.

The course was the same as last year (very nice), but ten degrees hotter (74) and 17 percent higher humidity (87). I have run in tougher weather, but those numbers are not ideal for 13.1 miles.

My main goal was to prove that my legs were strong enough to go 13.1 miles. I "planned" to go easy and treat it as a training run, but once I put that chip on my shoe....

I ran with moderate intensity, never in sight of a PR, but still trying to come in with a decent time. I was very happy to find that the limiting factor was my fitness, not the strength/health of my legs. I finished with a 1:43, four minutes from my PR on the same course, but a solid run for me. Most importantly, my legs felt great. It looks like I can safely continue to build fitness and speed, which makes me very happy.

Next up: the Fifth Avenue Mile on Sunday. I love this race. Last year I barely made my goal of going under 6 minutes, and I vowed to train specifically for the mile this year. Unfortunately, life got in the way. I'm going to try my best to match my time from last year, but it's a stretch. I know I have a faster time in me, but I just haven't been doing the speed work. Still, I'm looking forward to giving it everything I've got. 

No comments: