Saturday, August 15, 2009

Once a Runner



While in Maine, I visited the Maine Running Company, and saw that they were selling Once a Runner, by John L. Parker.

I had heard that this novel was very popular amongst runners, so I grabbed a copy. I was not disappointed. I highly recommend it to anyone who thinks of themselves as a competitive runner. (By "competitive", I don't mean "fast". I mean anyone who trains aggressively to improve their race times.)

Parker apparently self published the book in the 1970s, and sold it out of his car at running events. It eventually became a cult favorite of runners.

Here's something funny -- someone liked this book enough, that they actually produced a fake movie trailer. Check it out.

Last year, Parker published a sequel called Again to Carthage. I'm sure I'll be picking that up soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Always good when someone recommends a good book. Will check this out. I just finished Haruki Murakami 'What I talk about when I talk about running'. A very nice read about a runner coming to terms with old age and fading times.