Saturday, January 24, 2009

Resurgence of the 5K in NY?

The NYRR just announced that this year's Al Gordon Snowflake race will be a 5K in Prospect Park (Brooklyn). This is good news, from where I stand. 

I like the 5K distance, but I have only run it twice (Coogan's 2007 and Coogan's 2008). The only time I've run Prospect Park was at the end of the Brooklyn Half Marathon (ouch!). A 5K would be a chance to give Prospect Park a try on um... fresher legs. 

From what I've heard, the NYRR used to run 5K races in Central Park. The routes were "out and back" however, which meant using twice as much road space as a loop race. When the races got too crowded, they stopped running 5Ks in favor of 4 mile races, which can be done in one "inside" loop of the park. 

Hopefully, the Al Gordon change is a sign that the NYRR wants to run 5Ks again, even if they need to explore new locations.

This year we have at least two 5Ks in town: the Al Gordon 5K on Feb 21, and the Coogan's Salsa, Blues and Shamrocks Run in Washington Heights just a week later. This gives me two shots at my first official goal for 2009 --- (drum roll please)

Run a sub 20 minute 5K.

If I can't hit my goal in one of these two races, well there are 5Ks outside of the city, and plenty of training time left. But hey, why put it off?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the 5K! Prospect Park is a great place to run (I've done a few of the PPTC runs there) and you will enjoy it.

I hope that NYRR starts doing more 5K's too -- it is a more meaningful distance (to me at least) than the 4 miles.

Anonymous said...

LOL. Not really sure going from 1 to 2 can be considered a resurgence.

Yes, there was a time when they ran 5k's in Central Park, as an out and back course. That is impossible now. I think the only way to run them in Central Park would be to have the start and finish in different places, like they did for the fitness mag 4 miler this past September.

The Run to Home Plate races at Shea Stadium also used to be 5k. Wonder whether they'll do that again once construction is done at Citi Field? That was an annual event until 2007 when the construction made that impossible too.

Morrissey said...

if you want to run in other 5Ks, theres always the Long Island Summer/Winter Series.