Friday, January 30, 2009

Fit to be Tied

Once again, my running life has caused me to question one of the fundamental building blocks of my personal foundation.

After reading an article in Runners World, I realized that I didn't know how to tie my shoes. Ouch.
For my entire life, I have been tying "Granny Knots". I don't mean that I occasionally  mess up. I tie my shoes the same way every time.  The wrong way. Oh, the shame...

Now I am retraining, and the results are well.... satisfying. I will definitely try some training runs without double knotting, and if that works, I'll try racing that way. That's right, you heard me. I'm going to race single knotted. I expect at least a 5 second per mile improvement. After all, a double knot must be heavier, right?

The article claimed that about 50% of folks had the same problem. Are you wondering if you do it right? 

If you are more the "intuitive type", I suggest this video:


If you are more the "analytical type", take a look at this:

















Be prepared, though. If you find out that you've been doing it wrong, it may be a bitter pill to swallow. All I can say is, tomorrow is a new day.