Sunday, December 7, 2008

JK 10K 2008

Over a month ago, I went public with my plan to target today's Joe Kleinerman 10K. My goal was to beat my PR of 44:31 (7:01 min per mile), and get the new record under a 7 minute pace. 

Coming into the race, I felt prepared to achieve my goal, but it is always hard to predict what will actually happen. 

As usual, the NYRR corral system produced a clean start, and I was able to set my own pace from the beginning.  I finished mile one in 6:59 -- right on target given that this mile included the biggest hill in the park. The next three miles were slightly faster - well under 7 minutes each. As expected, mile 5 was the crux of the race. It's quite hilly, including Cat Hill, and it's at the toughest point in the race psychologically -- you're tired, yet the finish still seems far away. When I got through mile 5 in under 7 minutes, I knew my PR was in the bag. Mile 6 is mostly downhill, and that just left the last 0.2. 

Toward the end of the race, I noticed a runner that seemed to have targeted me. We had swapped places a few times earlier, but I really noticed him when he put on a charge at about 1/4 mile out. I waited for my kick until later, and we found ourselves side by side with just 30 or 40 yards to go. We exchanged looks, and the race was on. I was really surprised at what I had left, but he had even more, beating me by a step at the finish. I was going for a PR, but I never would have run that hard to the finish if this guy hadn't been there. I don't know why it was so much fun, but it was. 

Afterwards, I met up with friends and teammates, and there were lots of good reports. TH had a PR, as did nyflygirl. Both of them are on a roll. 

My official time was 42:33 (6:51 min/mile), so I am marking this goal as met. Now I have to starting thinking about what the next goal will be...

The Splits:
6:59 
6:55 
6:43 
6:52 
6:58 
6:45 
1:18 (0.2)

8 comments:

jb24 said...

Congrats on a great race and for achieving a PR! What a way to end the year. Under 7:00 pace - that is just awesome.

nyflygirl said...

Congrats on beating your "zero one"!! :)

runner26 said...

Excellent race!! Congrats on the PR! You were "zero one" and then some!!

Anonymous said...

You ran your race! Congratulations on the PR. I think a little friendly competition is nice. Plus, it makes you dig a little deeper.

The Laminator said...

Congrats on your awesome PR. 'Zero one' was no match for you.

Lindsay said...

congrats on a great race and especially your pr!

Frayed Laces said...

Wow! Way to go get that PR!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new P.R.! That race was a lot of fun (even if it was ridiculously cold...)