Thursday, December 11, 2008

Help Me Pick the Next Goal

OK, I've PRed my last two races, and I'm ready to step back, regroup, and aim for a new goal. The question is....

What should my new goal be?

It has to be some kind of obvious  landmark to make it worth the trouble. I'm looking to take a few months or longer of targeted training before taking a shot at the prize. I'm up for intervals, tempo runs, long runs or any combo to hit my new goal.

The problem is, I've passed all of the obvious times that I was close to. Now, my PRs are mostly at a pace a few seconds below a minute mark, and my finish times are not particularly near an :o5 or :10. 

I could use some help with the next goal. Here are some ideas:

1] A sub 20 minute 5K.  This seems like the most obvious nearby milestone, but I usually only race the one NYRR 5K road race a year. Perhaps I should look for some others nearby. Any suggestions?

2] A Half Marathon at sub 7:30 pace. This would be a PR, and although beating an X:30 pace is not like beating an X:00 pace, it would be a solid improvement on my current best.

3] A Half Marathon at sub 1:35. This would be a 7:15 pace. More ambitious, but more of a reward. 

4] Some marathon goal. I have definitely under performed in my two marathons, and I'm ready to go for something better, but what? 

5] ???? 

Any suggestions would be welcome. My current PRs are posted here on the lower right. 

5 comments:

RunToTheFinish said...

I have plans for post HBBC like some virtual races, so stick around!!

The Laminator said...

My suggestion would be to train for a fall full but knock down the half in the spring so you can go for two PRs! The Jersey Half would be a good course for a half-mary PR BTW!

Anonymous said...

You could go for #1 on Sunday in Brooklyn. Or there's also a 5K every year in Queens that the Mets put on (it was cancelled for 2008 because of constuction but I think it will be back in '09.)

nyflygirl said...

look at compuscore.com and bestrace.com for some local non-NYRR races...

I'm actually wanting to find a 5K in March-Coogan's doesnt seem like the place to try for a PR (and can you believe, it's gonna be a club points race in '09?)

And as I mentioned to you-the 5K I did in Hoboken last year was a lot of fun-and a flat course too!!

JohnnyGo said...

Lammy, your idea sounds great! I'll study up on the race listings that FlyGirl sent (thanks FlyGirl!) and make a plan.
Cowboy, I just couldn't bring myself to make it out to Brooklyn the day after running a race in Manhattan.
I can't tell you how much I wish I had been there to see you WIN THE RACE!!!!
I don't see the Mets 5K listed yet, but I'll keep an eye out.