Sunday, February 3, 2008

Gala

When I joined the New York Flyers last year, everyone in the group runs was talking about the Annual Awards Gala. They made it sound like a great event, but I didn't go since I didn't yet know many folks in the club.

I did attend this year's Gala, which took place last night, and I was not disappointed. My wife came, and was able to meet some of the amazing folks that I've been telling her about, including a lot of the folks from the 6AM group runs, and the entire Flyers Black relay team from the Need for Speed Relay.

After lots of drinks and food, the group sat down for a presentation that included an entertaining slide show, introduction of the new executive board, and lots of awards. So many awards, in fact, that there was even one for yours truly -- "Most Improved".

I was a little embarrassed during the description of my "achievements" when one was included that wasn't real. Those who read this blog, may remember a mistake made by the NYRR in timing a race in July. They credited me with a time that was a good deal faster that my real time, and the MC mentioned the resulting 72.2 AG%. In reality, my best AG% was 69.8. Oops. Improved, yes. Just not quite that improved.

Oh well, what could I do? I accepted the award with a smile and left it at that. When Trakmaniak came up to me and congratulated me specifically mentioning the 72%AG, I still didn't say anything. I just didn't want to go there during the event (sorry Trakmaniak).

Despite being a bit embarrassed about the award, I really enjoyed the evening. The folks that put it together did a great job, and the spirit of the club was overwhelming. One of my favorite moments was when the new club President asked members of the club to stand who had helped with various club activities. As he went down the long list of events, more and more people stood, until by the end it seemed as though there were more folks standing than not. Go Flyers!

5 comments:

jb24 said...

Congrats on your award last night. It was very well deserved. You had a great year in 2007. Keep it up!

nyflygirl said...

Very well deserved, indeed!! Congrats again!!

and FYI...in the awards deliberations, it was made clear that the 10K results were flukey-don't know how that made it into the awards presentation. But believe me, based on all the rest of your 2007 results, you still deserved this one :)

runner26 said...

Congrats!! You certainly deserved this one!!

And what Flygirl said is true--I believe we did mention those results when this award was discussed.

But that aside, you earned it!! Glad you had fun Sat night--and nice job at the race the next day--wow!

JohnnyGo said...

Thanks Fly and 26. I'm relieved to hear that. I should have known to just check with y'all in the first place.

Trakmaniak said...

hey...no offense takin'...your still number 1 in my book...even though the ag time was incorrect. You still rocked the race which got you into the 70% tile in the day after race and that was your goal...and it's still early in the season! oh my...what are you going to become to do next? you still amaze me in every aspect and your still starting...your gonna be one hell of a runner...don't be embarrassed! I should be embarrassed, I read your blogs! but still it's an amazing achievement to go from 40% to 70%... Amazing!