Wednesday, December 12, 2007

JK 10K

I entered the Joe Kleinerman 10K on Sunday, with the plan of running strong, but not all out -- saving a little extra for my main goal, this weekend's Holiday 4 miler. As I've mentioned before, it's challenge for me to run a race as a "training run", but running a just under race pace? Hmm....At the start of the race, I was already thinking evil thoughts -- a PR was certainly possible, and going under a 7 minute / mile pace was also within reach... if I went all out.

trakmaniak stopped by to say hello where I was lined up at the start. The 7 minute marker is definitely slumming it for this guy, but he had the camera out, and was clearly there to get some action shots rather than run his usual speedy pace.

The race started and I was able to run the first mile at a comfortable pace without getting caught up much in traffic -- 7:35. I tried picking it up for the second mile to see what kind of pace was in the cards for me -- 7:01. This put a PR in reach, but going under a 7 min/mile pace unlikely. I decided to put that goal out of my mind and stick with my plan of saving something for next week.

I saw JN, who I run with in the morning group, spectating in runner's style -- jogging the course in the opposite direction, and I was cheered on by DG and several other Flyers.

The 3rd mile, mostly downhill or flat, was 6:47. Telling myself not to get excited, even ease up a bit. During the fourth mile, I was passed by a Flyer that I don't know well, but that I knew usually beats me. He didn't look like he was working very hard. Trying to keep up with him would be pure folly. I kept my own pace.

Went by JN again, still running the other way. He saw me this time and gave me a cheer.

I finished mile 4 (7:04) and mile 5 (7:06), and I was feeling fine about my pace. Still looking good for a PR, but not for going under the 7 minute/mile pace. During mile 5, I passed a couple of Flyers that usually beat me, and this boosted my confidence. Also, to my surprise, I found that the Flyer who had passed me easily in mile 4 was still only 2o yards in front of me. There was no way I could pass up this opportunity. With one mile to go, there was a guy right in front of me, who was my age, and who regularly beat me. I had to try to pass him at the finish.

The last mile was mostly downhill, and I picked up the pace, but so did he. He was pulling away, but I wasn't giving up. During the last half mile, I reeled him back in to within striking range. With about 100 meters to go, I went for the finishing kick, and passed him just before the finish. As I crossed the finish line, he was catching back up -- I think when he saw me pass he tried to pick it up, but it was too late. No doubt that if he knew I was coming I wouldn't have had a chance.

In the end, my time was 43:31 -- a 7:01 pace. I picked up the last 1.2 miles enough to almost put me under 7 minutes/mile. Even though I pushed hard for the last mile, I know I have a faster 10K in me. Next time I'll have to be shooting for sub 7 minute pace.

I hung out and chatted with lots of Flyers after the race, and walked back to the West Side with nyflygirl and runner26.

This Saturday will be my last race of 2007. It's a 4 mile run, and I'm going to let it all hang out. I'm satisfied that I'm fully recovered from the marathon. Each race is getting shorter (15K, 10K, 4 mile) and I've been feeling stronger each week. For 27 minutes or so, I can push myself the whole way. I've come a long way this year. Let's see what these old legs can do!

No comments: