Sunday, July 4, 2010

60 Mile Week, and The Plan

This week, I ran my first 60 mile week. My longest run was only 13.5, but I ran 6 days, averaging 10 miles per run. Breaking 60 was not a goal, but ramping up the mileage with medium, rather than long runs was a goal. I just checked my log and I found that in the last year I've run 18 weeks with mileage over 50. I've even had a couple of 59 mile weeks, so this was not completely out of the blue.
By the way, I log my runs using the free online tool at RunningAhead.com. This tool makes it easy to look back and get info like this. I highly recommend it.

Time to set my next target races...
My remaining goals for 2010 are 5K and 10K times.
This weekend is the NYRR Dash & Splash, a 10K in the park, and the timing is right for an early try at the 10K goal, which is to break 40 minutes. It is a stretch, but given perfect weather, I think that I would have an outside chance. Unfortunately, perfect weather does not appear to be what is coming. Current predictions are for hot, hot, hot.
Just the same, I'd like to get closer to the mark, so that the next time a 10K comes around, it seems within striking distance.
For the 5K, I will make my first attempt at the 2010 goal at the Harlem 5K Run in August. I haven't run this one before, but I'm hoping for a flat course. I'll need one.

No comments: