Sunday, March 7, 2010

Always Do the Right Thing


This morning was Coogan's Salsa, Blues & Shamrocks 5K, one of my favorite events on the NYRR schedule. This year, I decided to prioritize marathon training, so I ran long the day before the race. I knew this meant that I wouldn't be able to shoot for a PR, but I planned to show up just the same.
When I woke up this morning, my half-asleep wife was surprised that I was heading out to run. She had seen how beat I was after yesterday's long run. When she said "again??", her voice had an uncharacteristic edge to it. Here's how "again??" expanded in my imagination:
You go long yesterday, and you are useless for the rest of the day, and now you're going to go race, hurt yourself, and be a whiny-ass b*tch for the next 3 weeks 'cause you can't run? Fine. Whatever, moron.
OK, my wife doesn't talk like that. But the little voice in my head does.
I had promised to meet PL at the race and hang afterwards, so I went. Instead of running, though, I just spectated. After the race, I had breakfast with PL, who PRed by the way, and felt great about my decision. Always do the right thing.
Coogan's, by the way, is a great race to watch. Spirits are high, there's music and other entertainment, and the running is fast. After the last runners pass the start line, it's less than five minutes before the leaders are back. The finish is downhill, and these folks are just flying. Very inspiring.

3 comments:

Robert James Reese said...

Sorry you weren't able to run, but glad you got to enjoy the race anyway.

bookitjvb said...

Smart move John. No need to push too hard. They'll be plenty more 5-K races for you. Staying healthy for Boston is the most important thing right now. See you soon.

runner26 said...

probably a good decision in the end. i give you LOTS of credit for knowing when you need a rest. most runners aren't that smart ;)