Wednesday, August 29, 2007

He Ain't Heavy

I ran to work today. I've run home from work before, but this was the first time going in. Running to work means carrying a change of clothes, so a pack was needed. One of my co-workers, CD, recommended a Camelback pack, which he uses to run to the office. These packs are designed to carry water, but can carry other loads, and are small and fit snug to your back.

I loaded my new pack with the minimum - khakis, a short sleeve shirt, socks etc, cell phone, wallet... - and hit the road. During the first mile, the pack felt like a ton of bricks. My feet were pounding into the pavement hard. I was immediately concerned that this was not such a good idea. If I ended up with an injury because of this stupid experiment I would be pissed. I wondered how much weight I had strapped on -- 10 pounds? 15?

My GPS beeped... first mile: 9:26. Almost as slow as it felt. I was suffering, and it was time to blame someone. My co-worker, CD. Yeah, this was his fault. "Get this fancy pack, it'll be great!" I had some choice words for him...

During the second mile, I started to get the feel for the added weight. Beep: 9:13. My stride adjusted itself, and my feet weren't hitting the ground so hard anymore. Beep: 8:44. OK, that's more like it.

I started to forget about the pack and just enjoy the run. I was cruising down the running/bike path on the Hudson. Beep: 8:19.

Hey, this beats the hell out of the subway! Beep: 8:27. Before I knew it, I was at Houston and heading to the club. There I weighed myself with and without the pack. It was five pounds. Five pounds?! I was five pounds heavier (without a pack) just a month ago! Sure, those pounds were better distributed, but still... Was the effect of this pack all in my head?

A quick shower, change, and I was off to... well Starbucks... and then work.

It felt great coming into the office after a nice run. Of course, I made sure to stop by CD's desk -- to thank him for recommending the pack.

4 comments:

Trakmaniak said...

What are you copying my style?

I run to the Wednesday night group runs with my pack. It gets easier, when you are not thinking about it, but you really have to watch out for the weight distribution on your back, so you don't twist it for injury. Watch your knees as well for the weight and pounding. You don't want to put too much in there that unsettles it and makes it different than your usual runs. You're fine running with it and it will get easier when you are use to it. Good luck with that...

JohnnyGo said...

Of course I'm copying your style! Who else would I copy?!

Trakmaniak said...

Umm...a better runner.

come on now. you really shouldn't copy my style. I'm not a good role model to be.

Have a great Labor Day. Don't run too too much (nothing that I wouldn't do) and hope to run with you soon...

runner26 said...

This post was great! I love how you went from being annoyed with the pack to loving it. And running to work is such good use of your time. Way to be efficient!