Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Spin

I can't believe I'm leading off my running blog with this but... today I did my first spin class.
It all started when I was trying to figure out ways to run at work. You know, run during lunch, run to work, run home from work...
I decided to look into joining a health club near the office. The idea was that I could use the club for it's locker and shower facilities. Of course, I could also use the club for cross training, when needed.
Over the weekend I put in a lot of miles, and my left foot was a little sore. It just felt like a bruise on the front pad of the foot. I decided to give it a rest and try a spin class during lunch.
As it turns out, I had a frustrating morning at work, and I really needed a good workout to blow off steam. As the class started, the instructor was playing some spacey music, which seemed odd for a workout. I was thinking that I was going to have a sore rear end from sitting on this seat for 50 minutes. Then after a few minutes the up beat techno music kicked in and everyone was up off the seats pedaling hard. We hardly sat down for the rest of the workout. It was great.
At the end of the class, my work frustrations were put in perspective, and my need for a good workout was satisfied.
I was also pleased that my running helped prepare me to survive the class. I year ago I wouldn't have lasted half way through.
I loved the lunch hour workout -- it changed the feel of the whole workday. I will definitely do it again.
My foot is feeling better now, so tomorrow back to running!

1 comment:

nyflygirl said...

yeah, it takes awhile to get used to the spinning bike seat :)

i definitely like to use spinning for cross-training...however, i do find the instructors and the music they choose can definitely make/break the class...