Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Good Start

I ran my first race since March today. I've been nursing a "non-injury", but I've missed the whole race scene so much, I just couldn't stay away.

The event was the Japan Day Race, a four mile loop in Central Park. My plan was to run at training pace, or just a bit faster if I felt good.

This was my first race since the NYRR started using the new corral system, and I was very curious to see how well it worked. My pre-non-injury race times earned me a spot in the first corral, but I wasn't planning to match that pace today.

I followed my friend PL to the corral entrance, which was at the front of the corral. Uh, the front of the first corral would be right at the starting line. I definitely did NOT want to be there. One look at the eyes of the contenders that would be running over me, and I made a bee-line for the back of the corral.

Meanwhile, the corral barriers had been removed, and I ran into my friend TH at the front of the second corral. I didn't plan on keeping his pace either, but at least I knew he wouldn't push me of the road to get by.

When the starting horn sounded, TH was off like a shot, and I was left on my own to find the right pace. Despite my plan of moderation, I felt that old race day high. Boy have I missed that. I didn't push hard, but I felt good so I kept a brisk pace. At mile one, I was pleased to see my pace of 7:13.

My non-injured leg felt better than it has in a while, so I kept the pace up. I was nervous that I might be benefiting from adrenaline, and that I might regret it later, but... what can you do.

Each mile got faster, and I ended up averaging under a 7 minute pace (6:59). It was not a PR by any means, but it was very satisfying run.

Mile Splits
7:13
7:06
6:56
6:41

I stretched thoroughly afterwards, and there hasn't been any tightening or soreness, so hopefully today was a good step toward feeling 100 percent.

The corral system seems like a total success. Combined with the widening of the racing lane, there is no more crowding, and no one strays outside of the cones. The race marshals, who used to stand in harm's way trying to get people to "stay to your left!!", now just stand there and watch the race. Today's was a smaller race than usual, but still, it looks like the NYRR has gotten it really dialed.

I started back further than I needed to, since I expected to be running slower, but I had no problem moving through the pack. The corral system makes sure that there are no completely off-pace runners (walkers) blocking traffic in the front, and that's all that was really needed.

No comments: